Chance the Rapper - King of Chicago

Born in Chicago on April 16th, 1993 Chance the Rapper is one of the world's biggest names in modern rap. From his first project, "10 Day" (based off of a 10 day school suspension for marijuana possession) to "Coloring Book", Chance's latest album, he has been expressing himself using one of the most unique styles in the game. Coming off of his recent triumph at the BET awards where he was presented with the 2017 Humanitarian Award, we wanted to bring Chance in to discuss his roots, life as a rapper and his humanitarian award.

JK: Thanks for coming in, Chan- can I call you Chance?
CtR: Oh, yeah. No problem.
JK: So I wanted to talk about your Humanitarian Award.
CtR: Uh, yeah.
JK: It must have been an incredible night for you. You won New Artist of the Year and Humanitarian of the Year. How did it feel?
CtR: Yeah, uh, it was an incredible night. I couldn't, uh, believe how great it felt when I was up there.
JK: It looks like it, you even got a standing ovation after your speech and a message from Michelle Obama!
CtR: *laughs* Yeah that was pretty cool.
JK: Almost everyone knows why you've won Humanitarian of the Year Award, but I think we should go over it, just for our readers. Do you want me to do it or you?
CtR: You do it.
JK: Ok. You've donated $1 million through your own charity to Chicago public schools. Obviously you're still incredibly involved in your community, much more so than other rappers, what motivates you to do this?
CtR: Uh, I think its because I know that I can make a difference with the money and the influence I have generated as an artist. I've also seen how much my life has changed with music, and that's something I want to bring to the kids of Chicago. It's all about giving back really.
JK: I'd like to take a look at your recent single, "Angels" featuring Saba. You seem to be bragging quite a lot through the song, would you agree?
CtR: Of course, I was the one who wrote it.
JK: Throughout the songs you continue to talk about your influence on the culture you grew up in. How do you think that your charity has affected your music?
CtR: Uh, I mean you can see that pretty clearly in this song. I mean think about the lyrics, "I got my city doing front flips/ When every father, mayor, rapper jump ship/ I guess that's why they call it where I stay" I'm really just talking about the effort I've put into my community. I just enjoy giving back. It's a community that built me up and it's up to me to build them back up.
JK: So what you're saying is that your music is now your chance (!) to give back to your community?
CtR: Of course. What else would I use it for? It's really a matter of giving back.
JK: Well I'd like to thank you for your time Chance, and I'd like to say congratulations for your two well-deserved awards.
CtR: Thanks for having me.






Comments